1. Because when life hands you lemons, you run.
2. To look good naked.
3. To silence all the doubts anyone ever had about you.
4. To silence all the doubts you had about yourself.
5. To make yourself UNSTOPPABLE.
6. To smell the fresh air and flowers in bloom.
7. To run over that stupid ex-boyfriend/ex-girlfriend who broke your heart.
8. To brainstorm for a big work or school project.
9. To show off your new athletic shoes or clothes.
10. To find the meaning of life.
11. To add some spice to your life.
12. To listen to the new Beyonce and Lady Gaga albums.
13. To see how far you can go without stopping.
14. To procrastinate cleaning, studying, or pretty much anything.
15. To lose the last 10 pounds.
16. To lose the first 10 pounds.
17. To feel beautiful.
18. To feel like an athlete for the first time in your life.
19. To be the change you want to see in this world.
20. To see the world from a 5’2 constantly moving perspective.
21. To instill in your children a drive to be healthy.
22. To show your kids that being fit is so much FUNNER when you’re a RUNNER!
23. To fit in that wedding dress.
24. To make their jaws drop at that high school reunion.
25. To LOVE what you see in the mirror in the mornings.
26. To be so confident that you ask that guy or girl out at the coffee shop.
27. To eat a slice of cheesecake because you burned 3000 calories today.
28. To garner the strength to overcome your fear of failure.
29. To pretend that you are Shalane Flanagan or Usain Bolt for just 3 miles.
30. To rush to your appointment because the cab just won’t get you there fast enough.
31. Because you are enjoying every miserable, terrible moment of this.
32. Because your butt has never looked better.
33. Because all runners go to heaven.
34. Because you suffer more when you don’t run than when you do.
35. Because you aspire to be a moving public service announcement.
36. Because the best diet shake is the shake your booty makes when you run.
37. Because you take pride in being the crazy, hippie runner in the family.
38. Because sweat cleanses you from the inside out.
39. Because chafing scars and black toe nails are to be BRAGGED about not covered up.
40. Because Laura Mercier, Dior, and Chanel can’t make an after glow like the one you get after 5 miles.
41. Because a low resting heart rate boosts your self esteem.
42. Because in your previous life, you were Forest Gump.
43. Because you’d rather spend your money on nut butters and marathon races than boats and hoes.
44. Because sweat is SEXY.
45. Because women are so much more attractive in running gear than being all dolled up.
46. Because you’ve quit relationships, your stupid job, and commitments. Running won’t let you quit.
47. Because it may be a pain in the ass, but it sure gives you a nice one.
48. Because it’s both free and freeing.
49. Because you used to think it was for one of the crazies, but now you’re one of the crazies.
50. Because running is like a pitbull. From a glance, it looks like it could kill you. But once you get to know it, running becomes man’s best friend.
51. Because you wanna be that shirtless 60 year old man who looks damn good!
52. Because you saw someone doing it on your “off” day and you got jealous.
53. Because you want to feel great in a bikini.
54. Because it’s no longer a man’s world.
55. Because sweat is the new black.
56. Because you eat clean and train dirty.
57. Because you left WEAK for STRONG a long time ago!
58. Because if you suffer now, you can live the rest of your life as a CHAMPION.
59. Because you’re better sore than sorry.
60. Because you’re not out there sweating for 2 hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.
61. Because beauty may be skin deep, but fit is to the bone.
62. Because you can throw in the towel or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your face. You have the choice.
63. Because it’s a habit.
64. Because endorphins trump Prozac, alcohol, double cheeseburgers, and drugs.
65. Because if you tag me, I can be “it” forever.
66. Because it isn’t normal to just wake up at 5 AM and run 20 miles.
67. Because you never know when you’ll have to out-run an angry dog, stalker, or zombie for 26.2 miles.
68. Because I’d rather sweat for 5 miles than sweat the small stuff.
69. Because I love smiling at the “Are you crazy for running in this weather?” stares from people in their big comfy SUV’s.
70. Because working every muscle in your body makes you feel so alive.
71. Because it gives you the nerve power to publicly spit, pull out wedgies, wipe your nose in your shirt, and fart.
72. Because lazy sucks!
73. Because hills turn you on.
74. Because it’s preventative health care at its finest.
75. Because a bag of chips and my couch are trying to eat me!!!
76. To avoid really awkward people and situations.
77. To save tons of money in therapy costs.
78. To see your family at the finish line screaming your name.
79. To treat your body how it deserves to be treated.
80. To be better than ever.
81. To soar.
82. To hear the roar of the crowd and the pounding of 25,000 footsteps.
83. To save money on gas.
84. To save the environment.
85. To outrun EVERYTHING.
86. To feel fast, not fat.
87. To feed your addiction to endorphins.
88. To see the look on people’s faces when you tell them you ran for 3 hours non-stop. GHOST FACE.
89. Because you want to age gracefully.
90. Because there’s been a death in the family.
91. Because being this strong isn’t an act.
92. Because you’re tired of crying. Tears will get you sympathy, but miles run will bring change.
93. Because you wonder how those people run 50 miles in one day, and you kinda sort of wanna do it too.
94. Because you want to be a better runner at 73 years old than you are at 37.
95. Because carbs rule the world.
96. Because it’s the best way to tour a new city while you’re on vacation.
97. Because you were born to run.
98. Because the road doesn’t care how you got here or what you look like. It just cares that you pay it a visit every once in a while.
99. Because you need a reason to believe again.
100. Because this is not a phase that you are going through or some attempt to prove yourself. Being a runner is who you are and who you hope to become.
What is your reason to run? Was it one of the above or something else?